Journeys

Everyone has their own journey, I think, for every facet of their lives. I think it's interesting that I'm able to be awfully disciplined in some areas whereas others feel like a complete struggle - I suppose those are my crosses to bear in order to lay down my life for the One who laid down His. 

However, this journey is the quick, cliff notes version for getting what you want out of your career. An area I am humbled to say is an area of discipline in my life.

Assess and acquire a solid network and mentors.

Wow. That's it?

Yep. That's it. 

I'd sing some peppy jingle, but you don't want that. I don't want that reputation either. Here's what happened to me, and I honestly know that it can happen to you too. Because friends change lives. Friends in high places bring you to high places. But you've got to meet some friends - old friends have the same connections you do.

In 2013 I graduated from nursing school and joined my specialty nursing association with my first paycheck. They loved my youth (interesting) and encouraged me to take over whatever I wished. Within 2 years, I was well on my way to world domination (in my head). I began my master's, worked hard for my organization, and learned how to be indispensable. 

2 years after that, I'm in a room with the 40 Under 40 - an award by AORN's president for those who exemplify perioperative nursing practice. I'm introduced to amazing people, and spend the rest of the week with a new best friend meeting all kinds of new, international friends. 

A few months later, I'm eating dinner with the director of my current job - a new dream is birthed. 

6 months later, I'm interviewing with her. Yep, I was serious about moving, I'll meet with the team.

My mentor tells me if I don't interview with the team, she'll be sorely upset (I'm not entirely sure those were her exact words, I blur unpleasant memories) and I'm so eternally grateful for her encouragement. 

Because 6 months after that, I'm in a whole new state with a whole new job with a whole new outlook on life. 

Overnight I changed the trajectory of my life in the most positive, uplifting way. 

And it was all because I worked hard enough to get into a room with winners, befriended most, and allowed new relationships to form into beautiful new adventures. 

So go out there and make new friends just to be the light and salt of this earth. You never know who you'll meet.

Then you can bring your friends to high places.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Baptism Christian Walk